Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My 1st Elocution Contest Experience

Yesterday (Tuesday)...I joined a Pre-U English Elocution Contest (Pidato)...State Level...
It was organized by BPR and of course the topic would be about corruption,corruption and corruption...^^

I didnt really expected to win 1st place because :

1. I received the invitation about 1 week before the contest
2. I'd never step on a stage giving speeches and those ...you know...very poetic glance and tones and hand movements...
3. I took only about 5 days to prepare...2 days to memorized...

Anyways...
Everyone was really supportive...thanks guys..especially my schoolmates...really gave me a lot of confidence...
I just took it as if I'm going to educate a group of kids who do not know a thing about corruption...
Even if I forget anything or go blank...I'll just make up my own sentences and let that 8 minutes quickly become history....

Went there...cabut undi...terkena no.8...thank God...
But my heart later fell of the cliff when I saw other contestants wearing ties,coats, baju kurung!...
And I was like...the gray skirt and the long sleeved-slightly-contaminated- with- blue ink-shirt....
AND that ugly school shoes of mine...

I just cant stop thinking about my shoes...How I wished I could wear a pair of high heels...
gosh...
Well...when the contest started...for the pass 7 contestants before me, I spent my time just listening to my MP3...thinking about how I'm going to perform on stage later...
how I'm going to dance and sing on the stage as performing guest....

FOCUS!! Gosh...I was day dreaming! I didnt dare to look at any of the contestants presenting as I wanted to keep my cool...
But I did laugh at a few due to the very hilarious gestures they showed...
...........
I'm sorry...I didnt mean to!...My classmates were much worst...they cant stop laughing at others...teruk punya orang...

Then...it's was contestant no.8...ME>> Jocelyn Tan...
I got up...and just spitted everything inside my mind...I was making eye contact with the audience...the judges...my friends...haha
UNTIL...I looked at one of the female judges...which was looking attentively at my shoes!!!

OMG!! My shoes...
"Are they going to deduck marks for appearance and 1st impression?"
"Stop looking at my shoes!!!"
"........"
I went like...blank...I forgotten the next line...looked at my cards...got back on track...

Phew...safe...
and I think I was the only contestant who did not even exceed the final 7th minute...
Wow...i guess I was going a lil fast...but it was satisfactory... =) I'd done my best,...
well except the shoes thingy... *ehem*

Then coming to the main hall for the prize giving ceremony...
When they were calling out the consolation prize winners...I was like "please dont call my name yet...""
But funnily...when they are about to announce the runner up and the 1st place... Ironicaly I was like "Please say that I'm the runner up..."
I dont think I can win the SMK DERMA-rian...she's expressive...way expressive than me...
With all the hand motions and tones...I cant do such 'romantic' , 'patriotic' acts...
Ultimately...Im just lazy to represent the state...HAHAHAHA

But the moment they announce my name as the winner...
I just felt...relieve?
I dont know...unbelievable I should say....
My friends were like "Yes Yes! "
and I was...stunted...

Like Serene told me...I was experiencing instantaneous stardom...
I was then interviewed by New Straight Times...
Appeared at Sin Chew Jit Poh, Guang Ming Jit Poh,Guang Hua Jit Poh...and NST too...
A teacher told me,she saw me on TV3 as well...
I'm flattered!! I mean...I thought it was just an ordinary contest...but it was more than that...
Maybe because the Pengarah BPR showed up there...with his bodyguards...HAHA
It was such an honour joining this competition...a wonderful experience...and most importantly...

I got a RM 500 check!!! Ka-Ching$$ ... Wakakakakakaka...

The moment I received the prize...inside my heart I was saying
"Thanks Lord...Hallelujah!!"

Lol...God answered my prayers too...

Next up is...national level in Johor Bahru...again...
People were like...why you always go JB?

Haha...it's jodoh kua....
Johor friends....remember to come support me ok? Bring flowers, sign boards with my name on it...balloons, cameras, videocam,food....


oh yeah...I just love the sight of it...LOL...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so have u planned how to use the 500? Hannah needs some new toys........

Pei Jun jiejie

JoCeLyn SteMiLyn said...

Ehem...i think i spent it all already..because everyone asked me to give them a treat...wait lar...if i get national 1st place then I'll belanja...LOL...hopefully